This program is for those players (First Kicks - U19) who play for the love of the game. All of the coaches in the Recreational Program are volunteer coaches. The recreational teams play a six to eight week schedule in the fall and spring and will generally practice one to two times a week. There is no travel in the recreational program.
Center of Excellence Program
The Center of Excellence is a fantastic transition program for the players that are under 8 years old and desire to play in the competitive Pre-Select Program. The Center of Excellence is led by Jalil Samarvarchian (JJ), one of our professional staff coaches who is also the Director of the Pre-Select Program.
- The program is six weeks in duration;
- Provides weekly training sessions with JJ; and other professional coaches;
- Focuses on individual technical skills to become extremely confident with the ball at their feet and build the proper foundation for competitive play; and
- Each 6 week session ends with the players competing in one of our tournaments (Fright Fest, Presidents Cup or Rushmore Cup).
The Pre-Select Program is for competitive U09 - U10 players. We have created a training structure and curriculum that is the best in the region. JJ will lead the program with three practices a week - two circuit style-training sessions and one individual team training (fall and spring), focusing on developing:
- Technically sound players confident with the ball at their feet and pressure coming at them (aggressive dribblers);
- Proper techniques on dribbling, using fakes and faints, passing and receiving while adding pressure, and to start making basic soccer decisions; and
- Continuing to build a love for the game.
All Pre-Select teams are coached by our professional coaches and will play friendly games on the weekends or they will compete in 2-3 tournament weekends each season (fall, winter, and spring). These young players will have schedules built with a proper work to rest ratio and will have many weeks of breaks built into the schedule to assure the players do not lose that enthusiasm to play the game of soccer.
The Select teams (U11 – U19) are coached by our professionally licensed coaches and follow the Colorado Rapids curriculum to ensure we provide the best training program in the region. Our coaches are required to advance their coaching education through national licensing courses and the Club’s in-house education program. Players train three days a week (fall and spring), and one to two days a week in winter (indoor Futsal) focusing on:
- High quality training;
- Playing in the top College Showcase events in the country to advance players with college/professional aspirations and/or playing at the most competitive event possible;
- Competing in the South Dakota State Championship and advancing to the US Soccer Regional Championship or the US Soccer President’s Cup (U13 and older);
- Assisting players with college recruitment;
- Going to the smartest and most cost effective events for their level; and
- Getting proper rest and recovery.
Players will play in three to four competitive tournaments during each season (locally or regionally), and play matches on the weekends. Roster sizes may vary from team to team and tournament selection will be dependent on the skill of each team. Burgundy teams will be formed for each age. White teams will be created if player pools are large enough and they will train/ play in events suited to their ability.
All Black Hills Rapids teams will work through a carefully planned schedule that assures proper work to rest ratios and players will have multiple 6-8 week breaks throughout the year. Player commitment is mandatory to be able to play on one of the Select teams.
Black Hills Rapids Development Academy Program
The Academy program is for those players who have the DESIRE and ABILITY to play at the highest level the State of South Dakota has to offer. This program will be modified but similar to the other Development Academies around the country. It is for those unique players who still desire more than what our Select Program offers (or anywhere else statewide), want to make the commitment to compete at the top level - with like-minded teammates, and have goals of playing collegiately or as a professional. For the players who make the Academy team, it offers:
- Extra training sessions each week, extra friendlies, and one or two additional premier events/tournaments;
- Maximum capacity technical and tactical training;
- Fitness and strength training;
- Injury prevention, nutrition, and mental strength training; and
- Whatever else we can do to assist these players in reaching their fullest potential.
The Academy team will be in addition to your current Select team and requires you make a 100% commitment to your Select team.